Tuesday 7 September 2021

Another Delay...

I'm really sorry about this, but getting this content finished has once again taken far longer than I expected. I've got all of the framework, placeholders, and mechanics completely done, but I haven't yet finished the associated content in Elis's Shopping Precinct. Getting that into a playable state is going to take at least another day, possibly more, so I'm not going to be able to get the preview release out tonight.

To show you that I've made progress on this new area, I've pushed my current build to github's dev branch, so if you wanted to read through the code I've been adding, you can see it here: https://github.com/Innoxia/liliths-throne-public/commit/183006c1a4fc5d79f1fab5b53eeb9288bf6d6539 (I'd advise against building it to play at the moment, as it likely contains several game-breaking bugs, which I'm going to be fixing for the preview update...)

For those of you who'd rather get the tl;dr version of what specifically I've been working on and what's been taking so much of my time, I'll put it at the end of this post (so those of you who want to avoid spoilers can skip over it).

So, anyway, I'm going to get this Elis content finished and linked to this new area over the next couple of days, and I'll get the preview out to you as soon as it's ready. I really am sorry for giving all these deadlines and then missing them. I just end up panicking a little and trying to rush when it's already taken me so long to get the next update released.

I'll make another post on Thursday night, hopefully with the preview release, but if not then at least with more information on what I've got done. Thank you all for your patience.


New Area Spoilers!

So for those of you who want to know what exactly it is I've been working on, I decided to add a side quest to the first Shopping Precinct NPC I started to add. This side quest involves retrieving a breast pump from the NPC's old workplace out in the Foloi Fields. This workplace is the new area which I've been adding, and takes the form of an industrial dairy farm.

Although I originally only intended this new area to be a quick stop where you'd retrieve the breast pump and then immediately head back to Elis, I started to feature creep it by adding an internal map and a unique NPC for the farm's owner. I then thought that players would want to see (and have sex with) the farm's employees, so I moved on to adding that. After that was done, I thought that it would be nice to work there as one of the cows being milked, so I added that, and then expanded the initial 'enter barn and get milked' into a promotional system which leads you through 3 barns. After that, I added a new (very easily avoidable) bad end at the end of this content. Then I felt like having just a generic receptionist being referred to but not existing as an interactable NPC was boring, so I went back and added a new NPC (and new 'donkey' subspecies), and then updated all of the references involving the nameless receptionist. Then I thought people would want multiple ways to have sex with this new NPC, so I went back and added support for that, and then after all of this was finally finished (tonight) I remembered that I hadn't yet finished the original Elis NPC quest content, so I couldn't get this preview released after all.

So, it was basically just a cascade of feature creeping, and now the farm which I've added has ended up with far more content than I originally intended (and a lot of writing to get done...). As mentioned above, I should be able to get the Elis content finished within a couple of days, and then I'll do some testing and get the preview out to you as soon as I can...